Thursday 18 April 2013


After school has now developed into a sort of after-school club on these front steps and outside my house. Even children who I don't teach from other schools and small siblings of children I do teach turn up. It's always very crazy but we have so much fun! I always have to leave about an hour when I start telling them they have to go home because they never want to leave! We sing songs and I have my hair plaited and we take funny photos and play games and I tell stories. Even when I'm exhausted, I always have time for a round of 'wheels on the bus' or telling them the story of the three little pigs. 


These two photos show a new event that I helped TANF arrange; a parents' review meeting. Parents of the children that TANF has rescued need to be kept in contact with and need to feel involved. If parents don't feel involved then they will not support their kids and at their age; support is vital. This was the main reason of this event. Parents were spoken to about the work TANF does. I explained to them about the importance of education and their role as a parent; telling them that it is a three-way split responsibility. 1 part the child, 1 part TANF, 1 part parents. 

Over the week, we have taken two visits to the child labour camp where children are rescued. This camp is a stone quarry site, where rocks are collected, rolled down a hill, then hammered into small pieces for 11 hours a day, 7 days a week. We have spoken to all the workers here about their situation to gain an idea into what life is like for them. All of these people are struggling hugely and desperately trying to pay for their children's education. Some are in debt and their children are on the brink of being kicked out. It is a very worrying time. After seeing the work here, I don't think I can ever complain of hard-work again!

Exercise after learning 'there', 'their' and 'they're'. The students picked it up suprisingly well! 

Love balloons! What happy faces :)

Leading the fourth awareness talk for the older students on malaria. Shockingly people were very laid back about using their mosquito nets! The school had provided a net for each student, but when asked if they slept under it last night, many said no, for reasons like 'madam, it's too hot'. We forget that just because we give the people mosquito nets, it doesn't mean they will use them! Education is lacking on things such as why it is important to use.

As you know, I have been helping out with the community nurses; baby weigh ins and clearing out the building below. Thanks to the other volunteer's (Jana) parents, the paint and mosquito nets were bought. To try to speed up the process of completion, I also bought the lightbulbs for the center. 



This week has been busy teaching and the students have also been busy with exams. I have been marking these exam papers. It is very easy to tell the 'easier' subjects and the students who understand better. However, it is also worrying that the exams the students have been working on are very poorly written. There are typos and some questions don't make sense while other answers do not fit. Luckily I have now been asked to type some other work up, so I will do my very best to avoid all typos!
Read the TANF blog to read the full stories that I have been writing about the events going on. Of course...it's been very busy! This time next week i'll be home, which is a very shocking thought...looking forward to a big fat bacon sandwich!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment