Sunday 21 April 2013

Summer School, Painting and Redecoration and the Boti Falls

Summer school begins! So the school has vacated for their two week holidays, but for an extra three days I decided to set up a 'summer school' where the children can have a chance to do things they wouldn't normally. It also is for them to bring any things they struggle with so I can help them. This was our first activity...making their own collages! Of course, they had all memorised the definition of collage, but had they had chance to make one before? Nope! So I went out and bought a selection of newspapers and magazines for them to all cut out and stick in their books. I also asked them to draw a picture of themselves in the middle and use pictures and words of things that make them happy. At first it was a bit of a struggle because I hadn't bought enough newspapers for one each (there were 60 children) so they struggled to understand the concept of sharing. After repeating myself about 20 times they finally got it and got stuck into the task. They loved it! And they were all doing that thing when children get excited and want to show you what they'd done so they were all calling me saying 'madam look' 'madam, look at mine!' etc, so I was exhausted from praising them! I went round helping them find words to use and showing them where best to stick their photos, it was great fun! 

Very proud of his collage! 

Painting! So as you've seen the progression of the community health center...this is one of the final stages for us! We spent two days painting the building inside and out. The colour scheme involved a cream inside for a fresh feel, with green window frames and doors and a brown on the outsides walls. The idea behind the brown is to hide the dust, but to also match the colour of the nurses' uniform. The green colour is the colour of the buttons on the nurses' dresses. 

Half of the door completed! 

I think I managed to paint more of myself than the building....

At the weekend, a huge group of us took a day trip to the Boti Falls - a waterfall split into two parts. Teachers and students from Wisdom Academy came with us, along with the nurses we worked with. It was great fun! 

Paddling in the water!

I'm still continuing to write the blog posts for TANF and have also been busy marking more of the exams from before the vacation. Check out the TANF blog to read more details on my adventures! 

No comments:

Post a Comment